London Fire Consultants Undertake Fire Risk Assessments in London meeting the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
London Fire Brigade the Enforcing Authority for London give the following guidance for Fire Risk Assessments.
What is the fire safety order (Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005)?
If you own, manage or operate a business, you need to comply with fire safety law. The main law is the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 or "the Fire Safety Order". It applies across England and Wales and came into force on 1 October 2006.
Who does it apply to?
The Order applies to almost all buildings, places and structures other than individual private homes – that's individual flats in a block or family homes.
Other places covered by the Order include shared areas in houses in multiple occupation (HMOs), blocks of flats and maisonettes.
What are your responsibilities?
You need to make sure:
- Your premises reach the required standards.
- Employees are provided with adequate fire safety training.
What about Fire Risk Assessments?
By law, if you are responsible for commercial premises, you need to make sure that a Fire Risk Assessment has been completed by a competent person (which is where London Fire Consultants can assist). It's mandatory to carry out a detailed assessment identifying the risks and hazards in the premises. It must be recorded if you have a total of five or more employees. The responsible person for the premises is also required to:
- Consider who may be especially at risk.
- Eliminate or reduce the risk of fire as far as is reasonably practical.
- Provide general fire precautions to deal with any risk.
- Take additional measures to ensure fire safety where flammable or explosive materials are used or stored.
- Create a plan to deal with any emergency and where necessary record any findings.
- Maintain general fire precautions, and facilities provided for use by firefighters.
- Keep any findings of the risk assessment under review.
Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0